..xX*Welcome*Xx..

Feel free to enjoy yourself and please leave a comment if you happen to come across this place. Thank you (*^_^*)

Sunday 9 December 2012

Some Time Before SPM....

     "Ahhhhhh! I can't take it anymore! I wanna quit! I hate it! I don't wanna do it!" Deana shouted, surprising Lee, her best friend, who was diligently studying beside her. The bespectacled boy frowned. Taking a very thick textbook, he hit her head hard. "Shut up you idiot. We're in the library. And quit if you want, but don't drag me into your problems later," he scolded. Rubbing her injured head, Deana just pouted. Lee was such an insensitive jerk. She always wondered how in the world they became best friends? She was a procrastinating queen and him a winter in Antarctica. Only a really patient person could put up with her rants and only an idiotic airhead could deal with his devil's tongue.

     "Who's an idiot, idiot. I can't take it anymore. Studying stressed me, SPM stressed me, you stressed me! All I see are texts, texts and more texts. What a boring thing to study all the time! Aren't you bored?" She asked him, her hands stretching forward to ease her stiff body. Lee took a glance at her, then he humphed. "Aren't you bored to keep playing around all the time? SPM is just around the corner. Just be thankful I even  make a time in my already packed schedule to help you study. So study and don't waste your time!" He said as he flipped his book to another page. Deana frowned. "Packed, he said. Yeah right." She muttered. "I'll bet it was just another day of studying," She continued.

     Lee heard her, but decided to ignore it. Nothing good ever came to him from minding his airhead of a friend's monologue except trouble. And he obviously did not want to get into trouble. Not now. Or forever, if he could. But right now, he need to focus. He would only sit for SPM once. There was no way in the world he would pass up this chance to ace the most important exam in Malaysia. And he wanted his best friend to ace it too, that was why he was willing to put up with her selfishness and tried to study with her. The problem was that she was a champion in procrastinating. It have just been a little more than half an hour since they sat there, but she already made a text on what to rant about.

     He sighed. It was such a waste of talent. He knew that she was not stupid, even with her airhead personality. If she really tried, she could easily aced every test. Her only good point was the fact she concentrated hard once lessons started. But that was the limit. For five years they have known each others, he never saw her truly study at home. And outside lessons, she was hopelessly lazy. Sometimes he wondered, will she be okay once SPM came? Well, maybe he was overreacting, considering that his almost worst nightmare was almost there to get him. Not that he does not have anything to counter it, though. He was, after all, the smartest kid in school. And so was Deana, when she really tried her best.

     Deana took a sneaky glance at Lee. She frowned, before her hand snatched the book Lee was holding in his hands. He was reading Physics. Lee was glaring at her behind his spectacles when she finished browsing over the book. "What's wrong with you? Don't disturb others when they're studying!" He said to her sternly. Deana ignored him. "What's wrong with you?" She asked back. "It's just an exam. Relax a bit," She said. Lee almost gave up. "Dearest friend, while it's true that it's just an exam, it is an exam that could decide someone's future. My future. And even yours," he pointed straight to her nose. "One answer could lead to a very good result or even the worst grade you'll ever get. Got it?" Deana gulped. She was surprised a bit.

      "Besides, didn't you said you want to get into Petronas Technology University? Getting a good result in your SPM is not enough, you must be excellent in it to enroll there. So study, Deana. That's the only shortcut you'll have."  Lee continued, as if he was a wise old man. Deana was silent for a while before she finally nodded. Lee blinked. 'Did she just...nodded? Does that mean she understands what I'm trying to say to her right now?' He asked himself skeptically. Then he saw Deana took a book, opened it and shockingly read the book. It was not even an exaggeration. He saw her eyes glued faithfully on the texts in the book, and for once, instead of doodling as usual, she even took the time to make some additional notes in the book she was reading.

     Another half an hour passed with Lee just staring at Deana and dumbfounded by her. The sudden change in attitude scared him. It was a while before Deana finally realized she was being watched by Lee that she stopped her reading and turned her face to look at her best friend. "You know Lee, I thought about what you just said. Maybe you're right. I should study properly. No, no. I'm still sane, Lee. Don't look at me as if I'm gonna die soon. No, it's not the end of the world yet. Would you please just stop with that doomed face of yours? It's starting to get on my nerves." Deana said, exasperated by her friends behavior. He definitely did not look convinced by her changes. After all, it have only been what, an hour at least?

     "I just got a revelation that if I didn't study hard, my life....could be ruined!" Somehow, Lee saw thunders crashing here and there behind Deana like a dramatic sound effect. He thought it was ridiculous. As expected of Deana, always a queen in being overly dramatic. Looked like he did not have to worry having to mourn his friend anytime soon. He chuckled. "What's so funny, I'm serious here! You don't know how much my life meant-!" She was stopped by Lee. "Yeah, whatever. Didn't you said you wanted to study properly? The book is almost closed," He gestured. Deana looked at her book, then her mood changed again. " Ah, that's right. I've wanted to ask about this from you...." and both of them fell into a heated discussion after that.

     Weeks passed by, SPM finally arrived. Clutching her fists, Deana looked at the big school hall in front of her. Suddenly she felt scared. 'Will I be able to answer the questions properly? Can I do this?' She almost felt disheartened before she felt something hit the back of her head. It was Lee, with his water bottle. He frowned. "Stop looking so depressed. You've studied hard. Just do your best, alright? You can do it," He scolded her. Deana stared at him as though he was the salvation she sought. "....What?" Lee asked, looking madly at her. Smiling, Deana answered; "Nothing. Thanks, Lee. Yo're the best of best friends I'll ever have!" Lee replied haughtily, "Of course, now let's do our best!" He smiled. 'SPM day 1, here we goes!'

** End **

SPM - an examinations for fifth year high school students in Malaysia.
Petronas Technology University - A super hard to get into university in Malaysia.

Click on the link to know more!

This is a short story I wrote that I begged people on facebook to help me give me ideas to fill my time until I get any work. I hope you enjoyed it, and please leave a comment if it's good or not. Thank you ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment